Friday, December 21, 2012

A Christmas Letter to Myself

Hey you. Yeah, you...Susan. I saw you last night when you were trying to wrap those presents and you lost it because Riley ripped the paper. Yeah, I saw your expression and the way you snatched the present back. Not cool. I also saw the look in Riley's eyes. The one that said, "I didn't try to rip it. It was an accident." But you probably didn't see that because you were too busy huffing and cutting a new piece of wrapping paper.

Well, now that you're calmed down I want to tell you something. It doesn't matter. It doesn't matter how your presents are wrapped. In fact, I would venture to say it doesn't even matter if they are. It doesn't matter that you didn't make any cookies, or get your Christmas card out before Christmas. I know you think it does, but it really doesn't.

Christmas will still come. You will still be surrounded by the people you love, and who matter most to you. You will be able to hug them, and tell them how much they mean to you--regardless of whether or not you gave them cookies.

So, please, slow down, quit freaking out and take a breath. You'll be fine. Everything will be fine, and just as it should be--whether you believe that or not. But I hope you do. And I hope you have a very Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In Search of Healing

The other day I was watching Kris Carr's documentary Crazy, Sexy, Cancer . In it, there is one line in particular that speaks to me. She...