Monday, June 4, 2012

Why I Dislike Runners

This weekend I took part in the Redlegs Run down at Great American Ballbark. I say take part rather than run because I didn't run. I walked it with two fabulous women, and we had a blast. And then at the end, some runner guy tried to ruin it.

The whole pack of us 5K runners were heading for the finish line. "5K go left, the organizers yelled" We obliged. Then along came Mr. Runner Guy, who rudely yelled at us to get out of his way. Now I know it is customary for slower runners and walkers to go right during races. Trust me. Before the Princess Race I read all about marathons and half marathons and their protocols, lest I screw one up. BUT THEY TOLD US TO GO LEFT!

This guy's reaction was just one more of the reasons why I will never become a hardcore runner. I've heard the way a lot of "real" runners talk about us non-runners. We're in their way. If only we pushed ourselves harder. Walking isn't as strenuous as running. I've really heard all these comments.

My response to that is: so what? So I walked. I got out of bed early this weekend the same as the runners. I could have stayed in bed like I wanted to. In fact, we both got the same T-shirt. But here's something else I got, that you didn't. I got to walk with the elderly man pushing his walker. I got to walk with a mom who was not only carrying her daughter, and pushing a stroller, but she was still trying her best to jog. Those kind of people far outweigh your way faster than mine chip time.

Yeah, from my vantage point, I saw a lot more character than what I saw from the runner who chastised us for being exactly where we should have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In Search of Healing

The other day I was watching Kris Carr's documentary Crazy, Sexy, Cancer . In it, there is one line in particular that speaks to me. She...