Thursday, May 5, 2011

A Little Bit of R & R--Relaxing and Running


Last week, with the kids on spring break, we headed to Florida for some well deserved rest and relaxation. We needed it. Between work and school we've all been a bit stressed.

Add to that the record breaking rainfall we've had here in Ohio and to say my exercise regimen has suffered would be a MAJOR understatement. And I've felt it. The fatigue has come back big time and my body aches.

So Florida came at a perfect time. In the morning the sun over the ocean seemed to call my name. Some days I told it to shut up and went back to sleep. I was, after all, on vacation. Those days I walked the beach at night with the family. But a couple mornings I did lace up my shoes and hit the beach bright and early while the rest of the family was still asleep.

Now when you see all those people running along the shore line it looks so freeing, so easy. And I'm here to tell you it's nearly impossible. Run too close to the water and your shoes get wet. Run up higher and good luck keeping your balance as you trudge through drifts of sand. As if I don't have balance issues already.

After going back and forth between the two I decided it was best to brave the ocean and run near the water. Long story short, it kinda looked like this, except I had cooler clothes on, there was no music playing as I ran and I was alone. I did try to race a couple of other people, but they just looked at me funny and ran away. I guess that means I beat them. Other than that it was pretty much the same.

Now I'm back in Cincy and trying to recreate that same feeling of inspiration--in the rain and minus the beach. It's proving challenging. This is the best inspiration I've found so far. It's not the beach, but it'll have to do for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In Search of Healing

The other day I was watching Kris Carr's documentary Crazy, Sexy, Cancer . In it, there is one line in particular that speaks to me. She...