Monday, May 9, 2011

I'm a Super Hero

Really. Riley gave me a booklet for Mother's Day saying so. Just in case any of you aren't aware of my super-poweryness, here are the reasons why I, Susan, am a super hero:

* I can write words--apparently that's my job. I am a professional word writer--and check Riley's homework--all in one day. No wonder I'm always exhausted. And here I thought it had something to do with my MS.

* I'm so smart that I know about the airport and the (St. Louis) arch. She then looked at me and said, "You do know about the airport, don't you?"

* I am as beautiful as......her. I don't know whether to be proud of her self confidence or mortified by her diva-ness. I'll go with the first.
Even when I'm exhausted, I still say Riley's my baby.


In addition to finding out I was a superhero, my day was also enhanced by the little things that mom's love, like Alex, my nine-year-old son, holding my hand--for no apparent reason--in public.

And I also had the privilege of planting flowers at my mom and dad's house--an annual tradition for Mother's Day. I am so blessed to still be able to spend time with my mom on this special day. (Plus she fed us, which was an added bonus.)

When I first became a mom, I held such high standards for Mother's Day. 12 years and four kids later, I've come to realize that sometimes it's the little things that mean the most. Trust me on that. After all, I am a superhero.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In Search of Healing

The other day I was watching Kris Carr's documentary Crazy, Sexy, Cancer . In it, there is one line in particular that speaks to me. She...