Friday, May 13, 2011

Why I Walked

This past weekend, I took part in Walk MS here in Cincinnati. It's the first year that I've done the walk, partly because I really never felt like I fit before. In hindsight that seems pretty stupid to me, but I remind myself it's all about the journey. I'm in a different place this year than I was last year...and the year before that.

Seeing as it was my first year taking part in the walk, I must confess that I came less than prepared--both emotionally and logistically.

Knowing that MS affects people in so many different ways is one thing. Seeing it up close and personal is another. Wheelchairs, walkers, canes were aplenty. A tricked out wheelchair accessible van was on full display. Booths for  a wide range of services were all over, as were teams with memorial shirts bearing the picture for who they were walking. To say it was a bit overwhelming is an understatement.

Logistically, I didn't do much better. I didn't manage to raise much money, my team was small--but mighty--and we didn't have nice matching T-shirts like a lot of the teams, but you know what? It was O.K.

Maddie, walking for and with her mom.
I realized that when I filled out the card saying who I was walking for. I did this for me. No one else, just me. I would have walked it all by myself if need be. And that's because this is my journey. Slowly I'm learning that. (Luckily I didn't have to walk alone because I was surrounded by my family and my BFF, Teri, and her two daughters.)

In short, I'm learning on this journey that as much as I appreciate the love and support of those around me, I can't look to them to make this O.K. This is my journey, my challenge. And that is why I walked--and even ran the last quarter mile or so to the finish line leaving my team in the dust--and will walk next year and the year after that. It is why I will run the Disney Princess Half Marathon--either alone or with my hubby if he feels so inclined.

Through this journey, I'm learning a lot about myself. I'm stronger than I thought, I'm more capable than I thought and I can do this. This walk was another step along the way. As the walkers headed out, this was one of the songs they played. I don't think they could have made a better choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In Search of Healing

The other day I was watching Kris Carr's documentary Crazy, Sexy, Cancer . In it, there is one line in particular that speaks to me. She...