Sunday, February 13, 2011

Off and Running

In two weeks, women are going to be lining up very early in Magic Kingdom getting ready to run--mothers and daughters, sisters, friends. They're not going to be running to be the first on Haunted Mansion. They're going to be running in the Disney Princess Half Marathon. God willing, next year I will be one of them.

I know, I know. I'm not a runner. In fact I don't do much of any type of exercising these days. I am one of the people for who those couch-to-marathon programs were invented. So what do I know about running a half marathon? To answer that question, "Absolutely nothing." But I need this.

In the next couple weeks I will be starting my Copaxone shots in the next step toward battling my MS. And while I know it is the right thing to do to treat my disease, it's still scary as hell. To say I've been a little bit bummed is an understatement. And then I found this link when I was researching this year's summer vacation to Disney.

I LOVE Disney. I've loved it since the first time I saw my kid's eyes light up when they saw Cinderella's castle. I wrote about that experience here. So what better place than the Most Magical Place on Earth, I thought, than to take on this challenge that will probably leave me broken and vomiting at the end? But I can wear Mickey ears or a Tinkerbelle costume while I'm doing it. How cool it that?

That is if I even make it that far. I'm just hoping I don't get picked up on the first mile by the running police who determine I'm not keeping up my promise of a 16 minute mile and whisk me off to the finish line. Still, would that be so bad? I'll still be in Disney. But I digress.

I'm going to be blogging about this journey to keep myself accountable--and, quite frankly, to make you all feel better about yourselves when you read how horribly out of shape and unfit I am. I hope you'll all come along for the run.

1 comment:

  1. You go girl! I know you can do it. I'll be running alongside you the whole way! : )

    ReplyDelete

In Search of Healing

The other day I was watching Kris Carr's documentary Crazy, Sexy, Cancer . In it, there is one line in particular that speaks to me. She...