Friday, March 1, 2013

To Infinity and Beyond

Let me start by saying: I don't like space. I'm not interested in it. I'm not fascinated by it. Don't want to watch movies about it. Nothing.

So I considered it a very cruel joke when I went to the neurologist the other day and was told I have "black holes" in my brain.'

"Excuse me? That's rude. Seriously, you're joking, right?" I said. Of course, given my track record I should have known better.

"Um, no."

Wow. That's something I never expected to hear from a doctor. I asked what a black hole was. I mean, I know what a black hole is, just not when it's in your brain. Well, apparently, black holes are when the myelin has been completely lost and nerve cells have been damaged beyond repair--as into the nether regions of the universe. In short it means that whatever info that nerve was trying to transmit ain't gonna make it. Kind of a big road closed sign.

Of course, as can happen when you're hit with things like, "Oh, you have black holes in your brain," which I'm sure happens to people all the time, I failed to formulate my well thought out and articulate questions, such as "What the hell?"

And so I go back to discovery mode seeking out far-off answers and distant explanations. I just hope I don't fall into a black hole along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In Search of Healing

The other day I was watching Kris Carr's documentary Crazy, Sexy, Cancer . In it, there is one line in particular that speaks to me. She...