Monday, October 1, 2012

So Much for Swimsuit Modeling

The other day I ran my hand over my arm and noticed something I hadn't paid attention to before. On the backside of both of my arms, where I used to do my injections before they became too painful, were tiny little dents. They didn't hurt, but I certainly could feel them.

Then I checked my stomach, thighs, and hips. Yep, yep and yep. I remember the nurse who came to teach he how to administer my shots mentioning something about lipoatrophy. Because it's such a weird word, I didn't bother listening or looking it up at the time. I was kinda more concerned/interested in the whole injecting myself with a needle thing. Silly me.

Well, since then I've learned exactly what lipoatrophy means. It means the destruction of fat cells in localized areas where the medicine has been injected. Destruction of fat cells? Woohoo! Oh, wait. What? When the fat cells are destroyed they leave a crater behind in the skin and underlying tissues. And it's permanent? Crap.

So, O.K., let me see if I understand this correctly. I have lesions on my brain. I have seizures. I never know when or where this disease is going to pop up. I take this medicine to try to counter all those things and now it's going to leave craters all over my body? What the hell?

And no matter what I do they will never go away? So I will never have a swimsuit modeling career? Or wear sleeveless tops? Or rock belly-baring midriffs? Oh. Wonderful. Good to know.

But that's O.K. Maybe swimsuits are out, but certainly there's gotta be a niche market for turtleneck and high rise jeans models, right? If so, me and my lipoatrophy are all over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In Search of Healing

The other day I was watching Kris Carr's documentary Crazy, Sexy, Cancer . In it, there is one line in particular that speaks to me. She...