Wednesday, September 7, 2011

For Better or Worse

A few weeks ago I went to my neurologist for my six-months-since-I-started-the-shots checkup. As always, Mark went with me. I told him he didn't have to, but he wouldn't hear it. He's been to every one of my appointments since this whole thing started. I can't tell you what it means to me.

As we were sitting in the waiting room, I looked around at the other people in the room. What are their stories? I wondered. I noticed a woman and her husband sitting in the corner. They called her name and she stood up and walked through the door. Her husband stayed seated. When she came back out, she wiped tears from her face. Her husband made no move to comfort her. As she walked out of the office he trailed behind. No hug to console her. No reaching out for her hand. Nothing. I was heartbroken for her.

I reached over and grabbed Mark's hand and leaned my head on his shoulder. He squeezed my hand back.

I can't begin to explain to you all the ways a chronic illness changes a marriage. I understand why some couples don't make it. It's hard and it's ugly. Emotions like frustration, fear and anger pop up at the most inopportune and unpredictable times. The roles get all messed up. Suddenly the kids cry out for dad in the middle of the night instead of mom because they worry about me getting my sleep. Late night talks disappear amidst the fatigue. Too many conversations turn one-sided and filled with tears. Future plans come with an asterisk attached. Resentment can creep in--on both sides.

But there's an upside, too. Those same struggles, raw emotions and uncertainties that can tear you apart can also bond you together in a way that no one outside the two of you can ever understand. I'm blessed. Thanks mostly to Mark, on most days we fall into the latter category. That's certainly not to say that we don't have plenty of the other days. God knows we do. But I like to think no more than the average married couple.

16 years ago when we promised to love each other in sickness and in health we had no idea what we were really saying. For better or for worse, we sure do now.

2 comments:

  1. Brought tears to my eyes! As always your blog touched me! So true, your vows have really been tested~Mark has passed with flying colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only we had access to the back story on every one.. Would we be more tolerant? more understanding? Who knows what was in the mind of the folks you saw in the waiting room..It's great to have the awareness to appreciate what you have in Mark.

    ReplyDelete

In Search of Healing

The other day I was watching Kris Carr's documentary Crazy, Sexy, Cancer . In it, there is one line in particular that speaks to me. She...