Monday, April 4, 2011

My Stuff I Wanna Do Just Because List

I often hear people talk about their bucket lists. You know, a list of things they want to do before they kick the bucket. I don't like that idea. I don't like the idea of doing things because I know I'm going to die. Seems depressing to me. Plus I don't want people to think I was in any way, shape or form encouraged to make such a list by watching that movie with Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman.

I was talking to Mark about my distaste for bucket lists the other night (we have such deep conversations, don't we?) and I said, "I think people should do things because they want to, not because they're trying to cram things in before they die."

"So what would you call it, then?" he asked.

"I don't know. I guess I'd call it my 'Stuff I Wanna Do Just Because' list. Yeah, that's what I'll call it." I like that name. It's says what it means and it means what it says to paraphrase the great Dr. Seuss' Horton Hatches the Egg.

Running the Princess Half Marathon is one of those types of things. I'm not doing it because I want to check it off my list. I'm doing it because I want to have a new adventure. I want to see what it's like. Now, I very well may die at the end of the 13.1 miles, thus making it a part of an actual bucket list, but for now, it's securely placed on my "Stuff I Wanna Do Just Because" list.

And while most people's bucket lists are far more exotic, with things like climb Mt. Kilimanjaro, mine is way more practical. My list has things on it like learn to sew without major injury, try Zumba to see what all the rage is about and learn how to put on makeup so I don't have to keep asking friends and family to do it for all my daughter's plays and recitals. It's not sexy, but it's real. And it's been fun.

So, what's on your "Stuff I Wanna Do Just Because" list?

1 comment:

  1. Oh, one more I forgot to add to my list: I want to visit all 50 states.

    ReplyDelete

In Search of Healing

The other day I was watching Kris Carr's documentary Crazy, Sexy, Cancer . In it, there is one line in particular that speaks to me. She...