Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Going it Alone

The other day I registered for the Run MS race. Seeing as I've done lots of races in the last two years--wow, that sounds really weird--it should have seemed like just one more. But as I filled in the registration it didn't.

I got to the section that asked me to indicate whether I was forming a team, was part of a team, or running as an individual. I thought about it for a second, and then marked the box for individual. It was the first time I'd checked that box since I started this whole running adventure. It wasn't because I didn't want to run with any of my partners-in-crime. They are the best part of my running. No, it was about something bigger than that.

One of the things about MS that has always bothered me is the fact that it often makes me rely on other people. I don't like that. I'm independent--always have been. I don't want to admit that I can't do something. I don't want to ask for help. Some would say I'm a bullhead.

So this race in particular is about proving something to myself. A kind of big up yours to this disease. It was me and MS. Head to head. Mano a mano. So you are all welcome to come cheer me on, but this time I'll be out there alone. This time it's personal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In Search of Healing

The other day I was watching Kris Carr's documentary Crazy, Sexy, Cancer . In it, there is one line in particular that speaks to me. She...