Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Me and Michael Phelps

For the past week, I've been religiously watching the Olympics. I mostly watch to gawk at the male swimmers, but I do cheer for the other less ripped people, too. I'm not that shallow.

I've heard interview after interview with Michael Phelps where the reporter harps on the fact that he's not as fast, not as determined, not as driven as he's been in the past. And it makes me mad. Give the guy a break. He's done more since 2000 than most of us do in our lifetime. I want to scream "Lay off my boyfriend, who doesn't know he's my boyfriend!"

On a more personal level, I've talked on this blog about how hard it's been to stay motivated since the Princess Half Marathon. You work up to this event and then once it's over...then what. The prospect of going back to "just training" seems like a letdown. Why bother? When you don't have anything driving you, staring you in the face, what's the motivation?

So I slacked. I'd go to the gym when I had time. It wasn't a priority. I walked instead of running. I made excuses.

But no more. I signed up for a 5K and told myself that I'm going to run the...whole...thing. (I do know that a 5K is 3.1 miles. It is, right?) Anyway, I'm getting back in the saddle. I'd be lying if I said Michael Phelps and the Olympics had nothing to do with it. Not to mention, how could I expect a four-time Olympian to give me a second look if I'm not in tip top shape? So if you're looking for me, check the gym. I'm back in training.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In Search of Healing

The other day I was watching Kris Carr's documentary Crazy, Sexy, Cancer . In it, there is one line in particular that speaks to me. She...