Saturday, May 21, 2011

Are You There God? It's Me, Susan

And with all due respect to Judy Blume, this post has nothing to do with my period. But it does have everything to do with you, God. And some serious questions I have.

When I first started this whole MS thing, I--like probably every other person who has anything wrong with them--prayed for it to go away. Not me, not now, not ever. Please, God. It was worth a shot, I figured. Every saint in the Catholic Church needs two official miracles. So why can't I be one of them?

Over time I came to peace with the fact that I wasn't going to pray my way out of this one. (Of course, John Paul II still needs one more, but I suspect some of the things I've said about him in regards to the sex-abuse crisis might get me passed over.) But I prayed nonetheless. I just didn't know what I was praying for.

I've prayed for roses from St. Therese, but thanks to me saying how much I think they're a rip off I don't see those very often. I've even tried St. Jude, patron saint of hopeless causes. And again nothing. I've prayed to every connection I have in the communion of saints that I can think of. Obviously, they either weren't as holy as I thought, or they don't have an "in" with you.

So, O.K., God. Could you please help me out. What am I supposed to pray for? Strength? Patience? Understanding? What is my journey about? What am I supposed to learn? Or am I supposed to teach someone else something? A little help, a little direction would be most appreciated.

Amen.

Oh, and tell John XXIII I'm a big fan of Vatican II and think he got the shaft when they moved his tomb for JPII. (He still needs another miracle, doesn't he?)

No comments:

Post a Comment

In Search of Healing

The other day I was watching Kris Carr's documentary Crazy, Sexy, Cancer . In it, there is one line in particular that speaks to me. She...