Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Another Bump in the Road

La la la la....I can't hear you. No, seriously. I can't hear you. Well, I mean I can hear you, but just not real good. And I can't always make out what you're saying.

You see, apparently my brain has decided that it doesn't really want to send sounds to my ears so I can clearly make out what people are saying. I knew the hearing in my right ear sucked. It's been that way for about 10 years--since this whole MS thing started. But now my left ear's decided it wants to get in on the action.

I started noticing it when I was in noisy places. It became harder and harder for me to hear what people were saying, and you can only say "what?" so many times before it gets a) embarrassing and b) annoying to whoever is trying to talk to you.

According to the ear doctor, what's happening is the noise is getting in my ear, but just not getting processed by my brain. My ears are fine. My brain is not. As if that's a shocker to me. That's why when I'm in a crowd or someplace like a noisy restaurant, or even a meeting, it's hard to hear. My brain is trying to decifer all the information it's receiving and basically just freaking out and making it all sound like Charlie Brown's mother on the phone.

So what to do? What to do? Well, the doctor says it may get better. Or, it may stay the same. Or, it may get worse. Real definitive answers, right? I seem to get that a lot with doctors these days. He said in a few months we could look into hearing aids and see if that may help some. But it might not.

But for now, I guess I'll have to pick myself back up again and keep moving forward. Sometimes, like now, it's just a little harder.

1 comment:

  1. Darn those doctors. You'd think they'd figure a few things out after all those years of medical school. I think it's time to call Dr. House.
    Hang in there Susan and stop being such an over achiever when it comes to MS. Just be happy with average. Love you, JZ

    ReplyDelete

In Search of Healing

The other day I was watching Kris Carr's documentary Crazy, Sexy, Cancer . In it, there is one line in particular that speaks to me. She...