Tuesday, March 15, 2011

5 Lessons Learned on the Treadmill

Since I started regularly walking on the treadmill, there are a few things I have learned--some the hard way. So, consider this my public service announcement for all of you, free of charge.

1) You can not sing at a normal volume while wearing headphones. After about the third time Mark sent one of the kids downstairs to make sure I was O.K. and not yelling for them to call 911, I stopped singing along with my IPod. Apparently you sing much louder than you think when you can't hear yourself. Who knew?

2) You can not dance on a treadmill. No, seriously, I don't care how well you remember the dance moves for "Backstreet's Back"  or "Bye, Bye, Bye" by N'Sync, trying to bust a move on a moving treadmill is just dangerous--and stupid. Trust me.

3) You are not dying. All those aches and pains you are feeling are not signs of your impending death. It is your body saying, "What the hell?" for all those years you used the treadmill as nothing more than an extra place to hang laundry. In the case of a real emergency, put on your headphones and start singing. I guarantee someone will come to your aid quickly.

4) Drink with caution. Moving treadmill + balance issues + thirst = Powerade shower.

5) Figure rest stops into walking time. Keeping well hydrated while exercising is important. After four kids, it is also potentially dangerous. (Mental note: Contact Disney for bathroom locations along race route; start clipping Depends coupons from paper.)

And as a bonus tip, remember to take your sweatshirt off before you start walking. If you do not, you will quickly become too warm, try to take said sweatshirt off while walking AND still wearing your headphones and either fall or strangle yourself.

So remember: Be active, but be safe.

1 comment:

  1. I am cracking up! These are some of the same lessons I have learned. Especially #2! I try to dance all the time and it does not work!

    ReplyDelete

In Search of Healing

The other day I was watching Kris Carr's documentary Crazy, Sexy, Cancer . In it, there is one line in particular that speaks to me. She...