Wednesday, January 16, 2013

I'm Checking Out

This weekend, I will be going camping with my son and his Boy Scout troop. OK, technically, he's not a Boy Scout yet. He's what they call a Senior Webelo, though I still don't understand why they chose that name. It makes no sense when all the rest of the Cub Scouts are animals. But I digress.

For most people, camping with a bunch of fifth graders probably sounds like being sent to hell overnight just for a preview. But something about coming unplugged and checking out from the everyday world--even for one night--sounds like exactly what I need right now.

So I'm channeling my inner-Thoreau and heading to the woods. Granted, we will be bunking in an indoor cabin with a fireplace. And the boys will be preparing all the meals, which is both a blessing and a curse. It's a blessing in that I don't have to do it, a curse in that the risk of food poisoning greatly increases.

Despite those perks, it's still camping nonetheless. I mean I will, after all, be sleeping in a sleeping bag on a platform and doing outdoorsy type stuff. But that's OK. Right now, it all sounds like a little bit of heaven. Even if I have to walk through parts of hell to get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In Search of Healing

The other day I was watching Kris Carr's documentary Crazy, Sexy, Cancer . In it, there is one line in particular that speaks to me. She...